NORTH ROYALTON BUILDING COMMISSIONER
POSITION TITLE: Building Commissioner CLASSIFICATION NO.:
DEPARTMENT: Community Development FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $74,523.71 – $86,937.07 REPORTS TO: Community Development Director
The City of North Royalton is seeking a Building Commissioner. It is an appointed position, and is at will at the discretion of the Mayor, responsible for the administrative supervision of the Division of Buildings and its personnel and equipment and in addition shall be responsible for the performance of all administrative functions necessary in directing the operation of the Division of Buildings and such other duties as may from time to time be required by the Community Development Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The following list of essential job functions is not exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
1. Act as the City’s Residential and Non-Residential Building Official;
2. Review and evaluate all processes of inspection and be responsible for the training of all building inspectors and the qualifications of all State certified inspectors;
3. Recommend policies and develop work programs and schedules, all of which will tend to improve the efficiency of the Division;
4. Work under the general supervision and direction of the Community Development Director;
5. Enforce all applicable building requirements, codes, ordinances and regulations of the Municipality;
6. Be available for consultations with contractors, architects, engineers and others who are engaged in either the design and/or construction of structures to be constructed within the Municipality;
7. Hear and investigate all complaints and violations pertaining to the Building Code, the Zoning Code and all ordinances and regulations pertaining to construction;
8. Maintain, or cause to be maintained, accurate and adequate records of all activities within the jurisdiction of the Department;
9. Review all plans for construction and refer the same to the City Engineer or other Directors for his/her approval when the necessity arises;
10. Confer with the Community Development Director periodically to ensure the enforcement of all Municipal ordinances, codes and regulations so as to protect the health, safety and welfare of the inhabitants of the City;
11. Be qualified to perform any and all duties of the various inspectors;
12. Prepare all cases for prosecution when violations of City ordinances occur; insure that the proper inspector of record be present in the proper court of law when requested to testify as to such violations; and
13. Attend all regular and/or special meetings of City Council, the Planning Commission, the Board of Zoning Appeals and all other boards and commissions when requested to do so or when his or her attendance is deemed necessary by the Community Development Director.
14. Prepare and participate in establishing and implementing the budget for the Department of Buildings in consultation with the Finance Director and the Community Development Director.
15. Operate the division within the appropriated budget.
16. Perform any duty that is necessary for the success of the City.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Basic office methods and procedures. Knowledge or training in supervision of personnel. Knowledge of Ohio Statutes and Ohio Administrative Code pertaining to Board of Building Standards, authority of same, related statutes, rules and regulations. Knowledge of Ohio Building Code, applicable electrical, plumbing, mechanical codes. Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety practices; modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software for operation of a building division. Knowledge of permitting process, inspection and review process and methods and techniques for record keeping. Knowledge of interpretation and implementation of collective bargaining agreements. Ability to perform any and all duties of inspectors.
Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, and supervisors. Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
QUALIFICATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent; shall be certified by the State Board of Building Standards as a Building Official as defined in the Ohio Building Code, Section 18.104.22.168 and a Residential Building Official as defined in the Residential Code of Ohio (RCO) Section 22.214.171.124.1 additional certifications would be advantageous such as one of the following:
- Electrical Safety Inspector (ESI) certification.
- Master Plans Examiner certification.
Possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License. Possess excellent communication skills. General knowledge and skill in the use of modern computer software programs and equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics are those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee has the ability to work safely; some outdoor work is required in the inspection of various sewer locations, conditions and installations including developments and construction sites. Standing, walking, use hands and fingers, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, or risk of electrical shock, fumes, or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet in the office, and moderate to loud in the field.
Applicant shall submit their resume to the City of North Royalton, Ohio, 13834 Ridge Rd., North Royalton OH 44133, Attention: Mr. Patrick Jones, Human Resource Department.