Job Title: Permit Specialist
Job Posting Date: January 20, 2012
FLSA Status: Non-exempt employee
Supervisor’s Job Title: Building Commissioner
Position Summary: To perform a wide variety of highly responsible and complex technical and specialized duties in support of the Building Department including permit processing involving the initiation, processing, and maintenance of legal documents, correspondence, drawings, and statistics; and, to provide professional, effective and efficient public service assistance to the general public.
Position Requirements: High school diploma or equivalent plus two (2) years increasingly responsible technical and/or operational support experience involving public counter contact with emphasis in public planning or building code agency, construction office, or real estate office. This position requires a working knowledge of codes, regulations and laws governing building and land use. Basic knowledge of construction plans and drawings and the ability to utilize an architect and engineer’s scale. Possession of Permit Technician certification issued through the International Code Council. May require a validOhio driver’s license.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide prompt, courteous, polite, and professional service and communication to the customers of the City.
- Perform varied and increasingly responsible technical work involved in the acceptance, review, processing and issuance of all types of permits and licenses issued by the Department.
- Screen and direct calls and public visitors; provide customers with permit information including quoting of fees and suggesting types of permits needed; answer questions and provide information to the public, including pertinent codes and regulations, particularly those applicable to Building and Zoning Codes; receives citizen complaints and questions and refer to appropriate department or staff member for resolution.
- Reviews application packets to insure that all necessary documents are included in the submittals.
- Route permit and other applications to correct persons and/or departments for review.
- Assemble the comments of the plan reviewers and communicate with applicants, prepare permits for issuance, assists in the scheduling of and keeping of records of inspections, keeps records of and provides billings of contractor and other types of licensing, insures proper filing and logging of plans, and related documents for the permanent record, and prepares certificates of occupancy.
- Assists the public in understanding permitting process in the City Code as it relates to their project.
- AssistsBuildingCommissioner/Zoning Administrator with coordination of any outsourced plan review, inspections or other services regulated by the administration of the codes.
- Assists Building Commissioner/Zoning Administrator with review of submittals to determine compliance with applicable zoning ordinances.
- Perform field visits as required to review issues of non-compliance in regards to zoning law and ordinances.
For internal employees, please complete a self-nominating form located at the Reception Desk and deliver it within two (2) weeks of the above job posting date to the attention of the Building Commissioner. For all other applicants, submit a cover letter and resume along with an employment application (located at the Reception Desk) and deliver it to the attention of Paul Kowalczyk, Building Commissioner.