Job Title: Chief Building Inspector (26)
Department: Public Service (25)
Status: A. Unclassified. B. Exempt – FLSA
Job Summary: Responsible for supervising and coordinating inspections and enforcement of the ordinances relating to building units in the City. Works under the general supervision of the Director of Public Service.
– Develop department policies and programs.
– Oversee the daily operations of the Building Department.
– Assign and assist personnel with inspections of new construction, additions, alterations; record for compliance.
– Inspect driveways, fences, roofs, etc. for compliance with OBBC and City codes.
– Testify in all civil and criminal non-compliance cases.
– Attend Planning & Zoning, Council and ARB meetings as needed.
– Perform other related duties as required.
(The description above represents the most significant duties of this position but does not exclude other occasional work assignments not mentioned, the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the factor degrees assigned.)
Work Environment: Light work (exerting up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally). Indoor/outdoor. Subject to hazards: moving mechanical parts, electric current, water, chemicals; Atmospheric conditions: fumes, odors, dusts, gases. Physical activity: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking and feeling.
Requirements: High school graduate. Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record. Non-residential Ohio Board of Building Standards Certification as Building Official required, as well as Building Inspector, Electrical Safety Inspector or Plumbing Inspector. Required residential certificates include Residential Building Official and Residential Plans Examiner. Possession of additional State of Ohio certifications, or the ability to obtain multiple certificates, is preferred. Ability to: express and exchange ideas and instructions accurately and clearly.
The City of Euclid does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. The City is a tobacco-free employer.