City of Bedford
The City of Bedford, Ohio, is seeking a Building Commissioner to perform management, administrative and technical work in achieving compliance with the Ohio Building Code, regulations and ordinances, as applied to both new and existing structures in the City of Bedford, for the safety and welfare of individuals within the City. The successful candidate will be able to provide effective leadership, management and communications that mentor and develop a high performance standard within the building department and that create a positive customer service environment for residents and workers within the City.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee and/or conduct inspections of residential and commercial property, rough to final, to assure compliance with municipal, state and national building codes, to identify defects in structure, write up deficiencies, and follow through with enforcement procedures, including representation of building department in Court and before various Boards.
- Review residential construction plans for compliance with City Zoning Code and other building codes; forward commercial plans to plans examiner.
- Direct, oversee, assign and evaluate the work of inspectors and building department staff; conduct meetings, assign and review work assignments and schedules.
- Issue violation notices and stop orders, authorize certificates of occupancy.
- Consult with building professionals and property owners regarding construction and building code issues.
- Receive and respond to the public both verbally and in writing.
- Make recommendations for procedural and code changes.
- Prepare reports for the City Manager, and various boards and commissions; attend meetings as necessary.
- Perform all tasks necessary to the efficient operation of the building department, and all tasks as may be assigned by the City Manager.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Valid Ohio Drivers’ License.
- Thorough knowledge of the principals and practices of building construction safety, engineering principals and practices and applicable local and state building codes and standards. All applicants must be certified by the State of Ohio as a Building Official, Building Inspector, and Electrical Safety Inspector. Additional Certifications are a plus.
- Knowledge of budget and fiscal management; basic mathematical ability, including the ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, calculate decimals and percentages.
- Ability to use standard office equipment, such as a personal computer, copier, and fax machine.
- Some standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching and handling, pushing and pulling involved.
- Language Ability and Interpersonal Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and correctly use a variety of informational resources including reference books and manuals, requisitions, purchase orders, invoices, applications, site plans, grading plans, blueprints and other reports and records.
- Ability to prepare reports, letters, memos and other job related documents.
- Ability to accurately record and deliver information, meet deadlines and maintain confidentiality of restricted information; ability to use independent judgment, common sense, and principals of influence and rational systems in the performance of tasks.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions, to respond immediately to crisis situations and to balance priorities.
- Ability to maintain personal composure and tactfully handle difficult situations and to interpret questions correctly, to behave in a responsive, understanding professional manner with coworkers, supervisors and the general public.
Salary is dependent upon experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits. Drug and alcohol testing and background check will be required. Send resume to the attention of the City Manager, City of Bedford, 165 Center Road, Bedford, Ohio 44146 or email to Michelle Gnoddie Hollo at email@example.com. Application deadline is January 20, 2012.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.