The City of North Olmsted is seeking an Assistant Building Commissioner to direct and coordinate inspections, building and zoning code compliance. Please see the salary information and job description below. Qualified candidates can mail, e-mail or fax their resumes along with a completed City of North Olmsted job application located on the City’s website under the Human Resources Department by Friday, January 24, 2014 to:
City of North Olmsted
Department of Human Resources
5200 Dover Center Road
North Olmsted, Ohio 44070
JOB TITLE: Assistant Building Commissioner
DEPARTMENT: Planning and Development – Division of Building
FLSA STATUS: Exempt-Administrative
SALARY RANGE: $58,500-$77,634 annually
Purpose of Position:
Appointed by the Director of Planning and Development and under the general supervision of the Building Commissioner this is an advanced technical and supervisory position. The Assistant Building Commissioner assists in the administration and enforcement of the state building code, city building and property maintenance ordinances, zoning and other related regulations through inspection, review, and enforcement duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. They are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive; other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assists the Building Commissioner to direct, oversee, assign and evaluate the work of inspectors; conduct meetings, assign and review work assignments. Function as the Building Commissioner in his/her absence when authorized.
- Analyzes and evaluates building plans, including design, materials, construction methods, and health and safety measures.
- Enforces building code, property maintenance and zoning regulations by issuing stop-work orders or citing violations. Assist the Law Department to process violations; represent the city in court proceeding when required.
- Consult with architects, engineers, builders, contractors and property owners regarding the provisions of the building codes, ordinances, law and design criteria and requirements; makes recommendations and assist to solve construction problems; reviews construction plans, work with plumbing and zoning inspector on final inspection problems and permits; make recommendations for procedural and code changes.
- Oversees and/or conducts inspections of residential and commercial properties to assure compliance with municipal, state and national building codes and to identify defects in structure, write up all deficiencies; re-inspection of all corrections.
- Reviews plans for compliance with City’s Zoning Code.
- Receive and respond to the public both verbally and in writing to answer questions. Maintain records and prepare statistical written and oral reports.
- Prepare reports for various City of North Olmsted boards and commissions. Attend various board and commission meetings as assigned.
- A valid Ohio driver’s license is required.
- High school diploma is required. A college degree in architecture, engineering, construction management or related field is preferred.
- Building Official Certification with the Ohio Board of Building Standards or ability to obtain a permanent certificate within 18 months of date of hire is required.
- Building Inspector Certification, Electrical Safety Inspector Certification, and/or a Plumbing Inspector Certification from the Ohio Board of Building Standards is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of the building construction industry. Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, and techniques used in building construction. Thorough knowledge of electrical systems, HVAC systems and plumbing systems.
- Ability to comprehend and correctly use a variety of informational documents including reference books and manuals, requisitions, purchase orders, invoices, applications, plans, site plans, grading plans, blueprints and other reports and records.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, calculate decimals and percentages, and measure data.
- Ability to prepare reports, letters, memo, correspondence and other job related documents using prescribed format and conforming to rules of punctuation, grammar, and style.
- Ability to accurately record and deliver information, meet deadlines and maintain confidentiality of restricted information; ability to use independent judgment and common sense in the performance of tasks.
- Knowledge of principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions, to respond immediately to crisis situations, and to balance priorities within and between offices and departments.
- Ability to maintain personal composure and tactfully handle difficult situations and interpret questions correctly; ability to behave in a responsive, understanding, helpful and professional manner with coworkers, supervisor and the general public.
- Ability to work effectively in an office environment and at construction site locations being exposed to weather extremes, dust, electrical current, machinery, etc.