The City of University Heights is seeking a permanent, full-time building Inspector. The position reports directly to the Building Commissioner and works in a team environment with City Officials and staff. A part-time position may be considered.
The successful candidate must possess the ability to function in a dynamic and demanding work environment and must have exceptional customer service, organization, processing and computer skills, including the ability to use advanced construction management computer databases. This position requires interaction with the general public and fellow employees. The successful candidate must have the ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the public, local business owners and local contractors. Courteous and effective communications skills are essential.
- Primary responsibilities include residential and commercial building and electrical inspections.
- Review construction documents for compliance with applicable codes and standards
- Perform property maintenance and zoning code enforcement inspections
- Investigate, respond to code related issues from, and provide advice to contractors, developers, home owners, architects and engineers
- Maintains inspection reports
- Perform other duties as may be required
- Must poses Ohio Board of Building Standards Certification as a:
- Residential Building Inspector (RBI); and
- Electrical Safety Inspector (ESI).
- Ability to read and interpret commercial and residential construction documents
- Experience in construction and alterations of residential dwellings
- Familiarity with Property Maintenance Codes, Rental inspection, and Point-of-Sale inspection procedures.
- Ability to detect life safety hazards, and interpret related property maintenance issues
- Valid Ohio driver’s license
- Possess general computer skills and familiarity with building department software
- High school diploma or GED equivalency
- Ability to be covered under City’s vehicle liability insurance
Additional Certification as a Building Inspector (BI) or Plumbing Inspector (PI) is preferred.
Hours: Full Time, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Starting salary range is $26.00 to $30.00 per hour. Salary will be commensurate on qualifications; certifications, and experience.
Benefits for this position include medical, prescription, and dental insurance; City-paid life insurance policy; vacation time, personal days and sick leave; participation in the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS); and the opportunity to maintain a deferred compensation account.
The City of University Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please email a current resume’ of your professional experience, certifications, work history, and references along with a cover letter to: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paper submittals may be submitted by mail to:
City of University Heights. Attn: Larry Brown, 2300 Warrensville Center Rd., University Heights., OH 44118
or fax to: (216) 932-5239.