JOB TITLE: PT BUILDING INSPECTOR
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: CHIEF BUILDING COMMISSIONER
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: NONE
STATUS: PART-TIME, NON-EXEMPT, NON-BARGAINING
SALARY: $18.00 – $38.00 PER HOUR
Provides commercial and residential electrical, building, zoning, and housing inspections for the City to enforce compliance with all applicable building codes. The PT Building Inspector works under direct supervision of the Chief Building Commissioner.
- Conducts technical field inspections of buildings, equipment, and installations during various phases of building construction, installation, and or operation in accordance with the Ohio Building Code Chapter 1 and the Codified Ordinances of the City of Twinsburg.
- Inspects building construction for compliance with approved plans and adopted codes as well as complaints, property maintenance, point of sale or other inspections as assigned
- Detects and investigates reported and unreported hazards and possible safety problems or inadequate conditions and violations.
- Reviews building construction plans, and specifications, to verify compliance plans approved by the Building Official
- Assists applicants in completing necessary forms; enters applications into permitting program.
- Trains with and develops efficiency with Building Department permitting systems and functions related to job duties
- Prepares and maintains reports, records, and correspondence concerning building and enforcement and inspection activities.
- Maintains daily schedule, reporting of duties, State of Ohio Certifications and daily activities as assigned by the Building Commissioner.
- Other duties as assigned by the Building Commissioner.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure that individuals with disabilities are able to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED), and ten (10) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Must possess a Building Inspector BI Certification or Interim Building Inspector Certification from the State of Ohio or be willing to obtain certification within six (6) months.
- Must possess a valid State of Ohio driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Ability to read, and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instruction, general business periodicals, professional journals and technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to use Windows, IOS, or Google Chrome or other internet browsers.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to recognize potentially unsafe conditions and behaviors and correct them in a positive and appropriate manner.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions, The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, risk of radiation, and vibration.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste and smell. The employee will frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.