Job Title: Building Commissioner/Zoning Administrator
Position Summary: Administer the Building and Housing Department by enforcing the provisions of the Ohio Building Code and the South Euclid Codified Ordinances. Managerial position responsible for planning and directing programs of building and housing code enforcement and zoning ordinances for existing and new structures including health and nuisance law enforcement for property areas.
Position Requirements: Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills to effectively interact with the public, office staff, and representatives of the media. Must possess a current Ohio Board of Building Standards certification for Building Official (BO). Ohio Registered Architect or Ohio Professional Engineer recommended. Additional BBS certifications a plus. Understanding of code and zoning enforcement, financial and records management, personnel management, and legislative and public law relating to code enforcement. Ability to review construction documents relating to structural, architectural and building systems. Excellent decision making skills and ability to effectively negotiate and propose creative solutions to complex issues. Ability to plan, manage and organize resources autonomously. Must have a valid Ohio Driver’s License.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer Department operations including establishing goals, preparing budgets, and evaluating results. Organize, plan, direct, coordinate, evaluate and administer the overall activities of the Building and Housing Code Enforcement Programs.
- Develop new strategies and programs for improved delivery of services, draft new and revised legislation, redeploy resources, identify trends and modify programs as necessary to deliver services to maintain and improve the existing building and housing stock.
- Direct Department personnel including selection, training, coaching, evaluation and assignment of tasks. Monitor and evaluate the performance of subordinates.
- Render enforcement decisions and negotiate solutions to conflict situations and ensures decisions are consistent with the laws covering building and housing code enforcement.
- Represent the City in legal, enforcement and other related actions. Communicate program priorities to administration, elected officials, citizen groups and the public and solicit feedback to evaluate programs and services. Represent the City as the chief enforcement officer for building and housing code programs in meetings with other agencies, groups, the court system and the media on housing code related issues. Attend City Council meetings twice a month and other meetings as necessary.
- Enforce the Zoning Ordinances relating to land and structures. Prepare reports relative to variance requests for the Board of Zoning Appeals. This position requires attendance at all meetings of this Board.
- Prepare reports relative to projects to the Planning Commission and Architectural Review Board. This position requires attendance at all meetings of these boards and commissions.
- Report Department activity to Mayor and Council.
If interested, please submit a cover letter and resume along with an employment application (available at www.cityofsoutheuclid.com) and deliver it to the attention of Mayor Georgine Welo, City of South Euclid, 1349 South Green Road, South Euclid, OH 44121.