CITY OF SHAKER HEIGHTS
Position Vacancy Announcement
FOR IMMEDIATE POSTING
February 2, 2016
Job Title: Senior Building Inspector
Salary Range: To low $60’s, DOQ
Application Deadline: Open until position filled
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs difficult technical work in the inspection of all phases of building plans and construction; does related work as required. Work is performed under the general supervision of a Building Commissioner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Conducts various building and commercial property maintenance code inspections; enforces building and commercial property maintenance codes and ordinances; prepares and maintains inspection files and records.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Performs field inspections and re-inspections of residential, commercial, industrial and public facilities for compliance with building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and commercial property maintenance codes.
- Reviews plans and specifications for new construction, remodeling and repair.
- Receives complaints in regard to defective construction and handles enforcement problems.
- Issues building permits; registers contractors; prepares and maintains computer files.
- Inspects existing buildings for substandard or hazardous conditions, structural failures of improper uses.
- Consults with violators to resolve problems; serves as staff liaison to Architectural Board of Review.
- Issues warnings, stop‑work orders and/or citations where construction is not being made in compliance with regulations as to methods and/or materials.
- Answers questions from private citizens, contractors and builders.
- Prepares evidence and testifies in court on code violation cases.
- Attends meetings of boards, committees and related groups.
- Makes reports and keeps records regarding inspections.
- Answers telephone; provides information and schedules inspections.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of all types of building construction materials and methods, and of stages of construction when possible violations and defects may be most easily observed and corrected; thorough knowledge of State building and related codes, laws and ordinances; ability to detect poor workmanship, inferior materials and hazards of fire and collapse; ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and blueprints accurately and to compare them with construction in process; ability to contact building owners, contractors and the public and effect satisfactory working relationships; firmness and tact in enforcing building ordinances and codes; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or trade school and extensive experience in the commercial building construction trade.
This is light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, use of measuring devices, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, and atmospheric conditions.
Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of Ohio. Possession of Electrical Safety Inspector Certification from the Ohio Board of Building Standards; and a willingness to obtain additional Ohio Board of Building Standards certifications after employment. When applying, please include copies of current certifications.
Effective January 1, 2016, the City of Shaker Heights will no longer hire external candidates who use any form
of tobacco or nicotine products.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
PLEASE SEND CITY APPLICATION AND/OR RESUME TO THE CITY OF SHAKER HEIGHTS HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, 3400 LEE ROAD, SHAKER HEIGHTS, OH 44120. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Application available online at shakeronline.com EOE