City of Parma Heights – Job Posting
JOB TITLE: Chief Building Official
DEPARTMENT: Building Department
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for supervising inspections and ensuring enforcement of all applicable ordinances and state codes relating to residential and commercial units in the City. Works under immediate supervision of the Mayor and Director of Public Service.
- Develop building department policies and programs
- Oversee the daily operations of the Building Department
- Coordinate and communicate with City personnel, residents, agencies and businesses
- Assign and assist personnel with inspections of new construction, addition, alterations, record for compliance.
- Perform reviews of residential plans submitted for permit issuance.
- Assign and assist personnel with Code Update inspections, and Unsafe Building Inspections.
- Inspect driveways, fences, roofs, etc. for compliance after issuance of permit.
- Testify in civil and criminal non-compliance cases.
- Oversee cases prepared for prosecution, court or condemnation
- Train and evaluate personnel
- Attend Planning & Zoning, Council and Board of Zoning Appeals cases as needed.
- Perform all other related duties as required.
The description listed above represents the most significant duties of this position but does not exclude other occasional work assignments not mentioned.
Work Environment: Light work, (exerting up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally), indoor/outdoor. Subject to hazards: moving mechanical parts, electric current, water, chemicals, Atmospheric conditions: fumes, dust, odors, gases. Physical activity: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, feeling.
Requirements: College degree or equivalent experience in construction engineering. Ohio Board of Building Standards Certification as Building Official required as well as Building Inspector, Electrical Safety Inspector, and Plumbing Inspector. Required residential certificates including Residential Building Official, and Residential Plans Examiner. Possession of additions State of Ohio certifications, including Master Plans Examiner certification, or the ability to obtain multiple certificates is preferred. Applicable experience in an administrative or supervisory capacity. Valid Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record. Ability to express and exchange ideas and instructions accurately and clearly.
The City of Parma Heights does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. The City is a tobacco-free employer.
Send resume with cover letter and salary history to:
City of Parma Heights
ATTN Dennis Patten, Director of Public Service
6281 Pearl Road
Parma Heights, OH 44130