Olmsted Township is accepting applications for the position of Chief Building Official (CBO). The ideal candidate will be an experienced certified Chief Building Official who performs complex supervisory and technical work for the Building Department, with a proven commitment to excellent customer service. This person must collaborate well with others, possess excellent organization and time management skills, communicate well in writing and verbally, and be detail oriented. This is a leadership position that includes supervision and evaluation of Building Department staff and is a public service job based on trust, credibility, and competency. It is critical that the candidate displays the desire and ability to perform and behave (on duty, as well as off duty) in a manner that does not damage or endanger trust with the public and co-workers.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will perform primary duties under the direction of the Olmsted Township Trustees:
- Exercises all the powers and duties of the Chief Building Official (CBO) to render interpretations of all legally enforceable building and zoning codes and adopts policies and procedures to apply codes.
- Receives applications, reviews submitted construction documents, and issues plan approvals for the erection, alteration, demolition and moving of buildings and structures, inspects the premises where approvals have been issued, and enforces compliance with adopted codes.
- Coordinates plan approvals with Building, Engineering, Zoning, Fire, and any external collaborating partners such as NEORSD, Soil Water Conservation District, County Planning, County Public Works, County Board of Health, and others.
- Supervises staff, provides evaluation, recommends hiring, promotion, and termination of Department personnel, coordinates the work of the Department including staff and inspectors.
- Directs office policies and procedures; maintains processes and works with staff regarding all inspections.
- Coordinates, monitors, and assigns tasks as needed to the consultants who are available for review of applications, plans, engineering requirements, and other tasks.
- Supervises the official records of applications received, permits and certificates issued, fees collected, reports of inspections, and notices and orders issued in keeping with the state of Ohio Records Retention Policy.
- Develops departmental budget recommendations and monitors expenditures.
- Confers with residents, businesses, landowners, contractors, architects, engineers, and others regarding compliance and interpretation of building, zoning, fire, accessibility requirements, and other codes and resolutions being enforced by the Olmsted Township Trustees.
- Certifies the issuance of building permits and occupational registrations.
- Prepares/supervises the preparation of reports as required/requested by the Board of Trustees.
- Additional duties as directed.
- Five (5) years’ experience as a construction contractor or superintendent of building construction or OBC Building Inspection with a certified building department.
- State of Ohio Certified Building Official, State of Ohio Certified Building Inspector, State of Ohio Certified Residential Building Official, and State of Ohio Certified Electrical Safety Inspector.
- Demonstrated personnel management skills including hiring, supervision, mentoring, and evaluation.
- Computer knowledge and proficiency with Word, Excel, Power Point, and willingness and ability to learn Building Department software (Community Core).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Customer and solution driven focus in dealing internally with other Departments and externally with the many publics.
- Valid State of Ohio driver’s license, bondable, able to pass a background check and all pre-employment screenings.
Salary Range $78,000- $85,000, based on management experience, certifications, and other qualifications. Olmsted Township offers a comprehensive benefits package. Download and complete the application form and submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a cover letter, resume, with salary history and requirement, and three (3) professional references.
Olmsted Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicant materials are subject to Ohio’s Sunshine Law and are subject to open records requests.