Chief Building Official
Olmsted Township, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
Olmsted Township is accepting applications for the position of Chief Building Official (CBO). The ideal candidate will be an experienced, certified building official who performs complex supervisory and technical work for the Building Department, with a proven commitment to excellent customer service. This person must collaborate well with others, possess excellent organization and time management skills, and be detail oriented. This is a leadership position that includes supervision and evaluation of Building Department staff. If you are a servant leader and desire a challenge, Olmsted Township wants you!
In Olmsted Township, our team of passionate public servants comes to work each day, dedicated to providing a secure community environment that fosters cultural, recreational, educational, and economic opportunities while preserving our unique historical character. Olmsted Township is situated in the southwest corner of Cuyahoga County Ohio and provides Police, Fire, Service and Building Department services and outreach to over 16,000 residents in an area spanning 10 square miles. Olmsted Township is a family-centric, west side suburb of Cleveland, governed by an elected Board of Trustees and Fiscal Officer. It has 45 full time equivalent employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will perform primary duties in collaboration with the Township Operations Manager under the direction of the Olmsted Township Trustees:
- Exercises all the powers of the Chief Building Official (CBO) to render interpretations of all legally enforceable codes and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. This includes consulting with county prosecutor relating to potential legal issues and actions.
- Interprets and enforces the State of Ohio Building Code and other codes and regulations pertinent to the department.
ofsubmitted construction documents and issues plan approvals for the erection, and alteration, demolition and moving of buildings and structures, inspects the premises for which such approvals have been issued and enforces compliance with the provisions of all adopted codes.
- Recommends hiring, transfer, promotion, and termination of departmental personnel; conducts performance evaluations; supervises and coordinates work of department office staff and multi-disciplined inspectors for proper enforcement of the Ohio Building Code, Ohio Mechanical Code, National Electrical Code, Residential Code of Ohio, and various other referenced codes and standards.
- Directs office policies and procedures; maintains processes and works with staff regarding all required inspections to ensure compliance with all adopted codes.
- Keeps official records of applications received, permits and certificates issued, fees collected, reports of inspections, and notices and orders issued. Such records shall be retained in the official records for the period required for retention of public records.
- Develops departmental budget recommendations and monitors expenditures during fiscal year.
- Confers with contractors, architects, engineers, owners, and others regarding compliance and interpretation of building, zoning, fire, accessibility requirements, and other codes and resolutions being enforced by the Olmsted Township Trustees.
- Certifies the issuance of building permits and occupational registrations.
- Represent the Building Department in a professional manner at all times.
- Must be physically capable of successfully performing the essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation and be free of medical conditions that would preclude one from successfully performing said functions or that would pose a direct threat to the health or safety of oneself or others.
- Additional duties as directed.
The successful applicant must have: (i) ten (10) years of experience as a construction contractor or superintendent of building construction or OBC Building Inspection with a certified building department. Must be an experienced State of Ohio Certified Building Official, State of Ohio Certified Building Inspector and State of Ohio Certified Electrical Safety Inspector; or (ii) five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in building design and construction and is a State of Ohio registered architect or professional engineer. The candidate must be an experienced State of Ohio Certified Building Official, State of Ohio Certified Building Inspector, State of Ohio Certified Residential Building Official, and State of Ohio Certified Electrical Safety Inspector.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated personnel management skills including hiring, supervision, mentoring, and evaluation.
Graduate from an accredited college or university with major course work in engineering, architecture, building construction or related field is highly desirable.
Candidate must be knowledgeable and be proficient with software programs including but not limited to MS Office software (Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher), applicant must have a keen ability to learn building department software programs.
Must have valid driver’s license, be bondable, and able to pass a background check and all pre-employment screenings with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Compensation, Application Materials, and Deadline
The salary will be considered based on management experience and qualifications. Olmsted Township offers a comprehensive benefits package. Download and complete the application form and submit by mail along with a cover letter, resume, with salary history and requirement, and three (3) professional references. Applications should be submitted to Board of the Trustees, Olmsted Township, 7900 Fitch Road, Olmsted Township, OH 44138. Position will remain open until filled with the first review of applications on Monday, November 21, 2022 with subsequent scheduled interviews.
Olmsted Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicant materials are subject to Ohio’s Sunshine Law and are subject to open records requests.