Posting Date: October 1, 2019
Response Due Date: October 24, 2019 at 3:00 PM
The City of North Olmsted, Ohio is a community of approximately 32,000 residents covering 11.67 square miles in western Cuyahoga County. North Olmsted has a diverse mix of single and multi-family residences, extensive retail and other commercial development. In 2018, the Division of Building processed plan reviews, permits and inspections for approximately $30 million worth of commercial and residential building construction activity.
The City of North Olmsted requests Statements of Qualifications (SOQ) from qualified individuals or firms to provide (1) Building Commissioner services and (2) Master Plans Examiner services to the City of North Olmsted. Respondents may submit SOQs for (1), (2) or both services. The contract period is for three years. To be eligible for consideration, the respondent must be capable of providing the services as set forth herein and must also meet all other criteria outlined in this RFQ.
Nothing in this RFQ shall be construed to create any legal obligation on the part of the City or any respondents. The City reserves the rights, in its sole discretion, to amend, suspend, terminate or reissue this RFQ in whole or in part, at any stage. In no event shall the City be liable to respondents for any cost or damages incurred in connection with the RFQ process, including but not limited to, any and all costs of preparing a response to this RFQ or any other costs incurred in reliance on this RFQ. All supporting documentation submitted in response to this RFQ will become the property of the City. The individual/firm chosen to provide services will be required to execute the City’s contract for professional services.
The City will select an individual/firm to provide the required services based on SOQs submitted. Individuals/firms interested in being considered for selection should respond by submitting three (3) hard copies of the SOQ to the address below by 3:00 PM on the response due date listed above. Responses received after 3:00 PMon the response due date will not be considered.
City of North Olmsted
Department of Planning and Development
5200 Dover Center Road
North Olmsted, OH 44070
All inquiries relating to this request shall be addressed to Kimberly Lieber, Director of Planning and Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions regarding the Request for Qualifications shall be made in writing by October 22, 2019.
The qualifications for the Building Commissioner and Master Plans Examiner shall be those as established in rules and regulations enacted by the State of Ohio, Board of Building Standards, as they relate to certification of local Building Departments and Building Officials.
Scope of Services
The successful individual/firm shall provide the following scope of services to the city:
- Building Commissioner
The City of North Olmsted Division of Building is headed by a Building Commissioner who is responsible for its organization and supervision. The Building Commissioner is appointed by and shall be answerable to the Director of Planning and Development. Duties of the Building Commissioner include the following:
- Give information and advice to City Council, the Mayor, Directors and Division Heads, residents, builders and other administrative officials on issues that arise in the city pertaining to building, zoning, planning and development.
- Review formative or preliminary sketches, development proposals, layouts, estimates or reports, concerning the presentation of commercial or residential development plans as well as any public improvements contemplated by the city.
- Make recommendations regarding the building features of development plans, including review for compliance with building and zoning codes and supervise staff in the performance of such review as building official.
- Be available and accessible to the Director of Planning and Development and other public officials and maintain regular office hours at City Hall, no less than twelve (12) hours per week.
- Supervise the Division of Building with respect to all duties and missions of the Division, including but not limited to building permit and inspection services in compliance with Ohio Building Code and as a Building Department certified by the Ohio Board of Building Standards.
- Master Plans Examiner
The Ohio Building Code (OBC) requires that the City engage the services of a Master Plans Examiner in order to perform a governmental function as defined under ORC 2744.01(C)(1)(p). The plans examiner shall perform the examination duty required of a Master Plans Examiner defined by OBC 107.4 and OBC 107.5. Additional duties of the Master Plans Examiner include the following:
- Meet with City representatives and, with reasonable notice, visit construction or other sites or buildings under jurisdictional authority of the city and make whatever inspection reports, written or oral, that may be deemed necessary at the time.
- Respond to requests to provide information or testify as requested by city representatives, or when subpoenaed by a court or other legal body of jurisdiction regarding any matter for which the Plans Examiner has provided service or presented an opinion before the city.
To the extent reasonably necessary, the plans examiner, after notice and consent from City, may engage the services or retain any other person(s) or corporation(s) necessary to aid or assist in the proper performance of these duties.
Requirements for Statements of Qualifications
Provide the information requested below, in the same order listed, in a letter signed by the proposing individual or an officer of the firm. Indicate interest in consideration for (1) Building Commissioner services, (2) Master Plans Examiner services or both. Do not send additional forms, resumes, brochures or other material. Please adhere to these format guidelines in preparing SOQs:
- Use 8½” x 11″ paper only.
- Bind letters of interest by stapling at the upper left hand corner only. Do not utilize any other binding system.
- Do not provide tabbed inserts or other features that may interfere with machine copying.
- List the qualifications, skills and experience of the proposing individual or firm’s assigned personnel. Note specific experience and familiarity working in the City of North Olmsted and/or Ohio communities of similar size and composition.
- Address the ability of the proposing individual or firm to manage projects, meet deadlines and respond to the city and the general public in a timely manner, relative to current workload.
- Address the ability of the proposing individual or firm to communicate effectively and form successful working relationships with city staff, as well as to provide excellent customer service to residents, businesses, contractors and other community stakeholders.
- Provide a minimum of three references for similar work performed.
Consultant Selection Process
SOQs will be evaluated based upon responsiveness to the submission requirements listed above. Based on the SOQs submitted, the City of North Olmsted shall conduct interviews with top ranked individuals/firms. Once a final ranking has been established by the selection committee, the City shall enter into contract negotiations with the highest ranked individual/firm to determine the terms and conditions of the proposed contract, including compensation and required hours of work. If negotiations fail, negotiations with the highest ranked individual/firm shall be terminated, and the City shall enter into negotiations with second highest ranked individual/firm. This process shall continue until a contract is successfully negotiated.
2018 Division of Building Annual Report