Posting Date: January 13, 2020
Submission Deadline: February 3, 2020, 4:00 PM, EST
Proposals in response to this “Request for Qualifications (RFQ)” will be received by the City of Kent Community Development Department for the provision of Master Plans Examiner Services and Supplemental/Auxiliary Building Official Services for the City of Kent Building Services Division. Proposals are being solicited for a two-year contractual period commencing approximately on or before April 1, 2020. Individuals and firms interested in providing services must submit a proposal in writing. All proposals shall be filed in a sealed envelope marked “RFQ – Master Plans Examiner Services” and must be received in the City of Kent Community Development Department offices, located at 930 Overholt Rd., Kent, Ohio 44240, no later than 4:00 PM, EST on February 3, 2020, 2020.
This notice also may be viewed by visiting the Community Development Department webpage on the City of Kent website at www.kentohio.org .
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SERVICES
The minimum qualifications acceptable for the provision of Master Plans Examiner Services and supplemental/auxiliary Building Official Services are those established in rules and regulations enacted by the State of Ohio, Board of Building Standards, as they relate to certification of local building departments and building officials. The selected individual or firm must be qualified to provide the following scope of services for the City of Kent Building Services Division:
- Master Plans Examiner Services
The Ohio Building Code (OBC)
requires that the City engage the services of a Master Plans Examiner in order
to perform a governmental function, as defined under ORC 2744.01(C)(2)(p). The
plans examiner shall perform the examination duties required of a Master Plans
Examiner defined by OBC 107.4 and OBC 107.5. Services shall only be provided by
a Master Plans Examiner who holds the required certification described in Ohio
Building Code Chapter 1 [Ohio Administrative Code (OAC) 4101:1] and in OAC
Responsibilities of the Master Plans Examiner include the following:
- Provide professional Master Plans Examiner services on an as needed basis for projects submitted to the City of Kent Building Services Division.
- Draft nonconformance communication documents for the City’s Building Services Division, prepared in Microsoft Word format and delivered via e-mail, as soon as possible but no later than 20 calendar days from notification by City of plan review services required.
- Respond to requests from City representatives to provide information or testify when deemed necessary, or when subpoenaed by a court or other legal body of jurisdiction, regarding any matter for which the Master Plans Examiner has provided service or presented an opinion before the City.
- In instances where it is determined to be necessary, meet with City representatives and/or applicants for plan approval, including with reasonable notice, at construction or other sites or buildings under jurisdictional authority of the City and provide any inspection reports, written or oral, that may be deemed necessary at the time. Services shall include, when necessary, meeting with applicants for plan approval at the offices of the Community Development Department.
- Construction documents are to be picked up at the Community Development Department, 930 Overholt Rd., Kent, Ohio, between the hours of 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. Construction documents do not need to be returned upon completion of plans examination.
To the extent reasonably necessary, the selected plans examiner, after notice and approval from the City, may engage the services or retain other person(s) or corporation(s) necessary to aid or assist in the proper performance of these duties.
- Supplemental/ Auxiliary Building Official Services
The Building Services Supervisor, under the general supervision of the Community Development Director, administers and supervises the operation of the City of Kent Building Services Division. Responsibilities of the Supplemental/Auxiliary Building Services Official are needed only in the absence or unavailability of the City’s Building Services Supervisor and on an “as requested” basis only. Services include the following:
- Inspection services in accordance with the Ohio Building Code and as required for a building division certified by the Ohio Board of Building Standards.
- Oversight of the Building Services Division permitting services in accordance with the Ohio Building Code and as required for a building division certified by the Ohio Board of Building Standards.
- Examine residential development plans in accordance with the Residential Code of Ohio for the new construction, alteration, repair or renovation of one, two and three family dwellings.
- Supervise and instruct, as needed, all part-time inspectors performing building, electrical, HVAC and plumbing inspections and procedures.
COMPENSATION AND BILLING
Section 1312.10 “Commercial Plan Examination” of Ordinance 2012-132
establishes plan review fees as follows:
- (a) Plan Review (three reviews or less) $75.00 per hour;
- (b) Plan Review (four reviews or more) $250.00 per hour ($125 is paid to contracted Master Plans Examiner and $125 is retained by the City of Kent).
NOTE: The City of Kent is reviewing the above listed fees, designated in calendar year 2012, to determine if adjustments to the review fees should be considered. Information regarding alternative hourly rates for plan review services should be listed in all submitted proposals for informational purposes, but will not be a factor in consideration of qualifications.
- Roundtrip travel time to attend meetings is considered billable time.
- Invoices for service provided must be billed at the hourly rate specified in Section 1312.10 “Commercial Plan Examination” of Ordinance 2012-132” or any subsequent amendments to the ordinance. Notification of any amendment to this ordinance resulting in a change in the hourly plan review fee will be forwarded to the selected individual(s) and/or firm(s) within three (3) days of Kent City Council authorization of the amendment.
The anticipated term for the agreement for services will be April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2022, with an option for two (2) different one (1) year extensions if agreed upon, in writing, by both parties.
The agreement may be terminated prior to the
expiration of the term for any reason, upon thirty (30) day written notice from
either party. The agreement shall automatically and immediately terminate
should the individual or firm performing the services no longer maintains the certifications
required for Master Plans Examiner and Building Official Services.
MINIMUM PROPOSAL SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Proposals submitted in response to this “Request for Qualifications” must contain the following information:
- Written description of qualifications, including documentation of the necessary professional certifications, credentials, and experience, for any individual who will be providing the services requested.
- List of three (3) references, including contact addresses, emails and phone numbers, who can speak to experience providing the services requested.
- Proposed hourly rate to be charged as a fee for performance of the required services. NOTE: Hourly rate reported does not have to match the rate listed in Section 1312.10 “Commercial Plan Examination” of Ordinance 2012-132 as reported in the “Compensation and Billing” section of this Request for Qualifications. Consideration of an adjustment in the rate is part of this RFQ process.
- Written statement confirming individual or firm submitting a proposal in response to this RFQ, has the ability to perform services within the City’s specified timeframe.
- Interested parties should send an original proposal, plus two (2) copies in a sealed envelope marked “RFQ – Master Plans Examiner Services” to:
City of Kent
Community Development Department
930 Overholt Rd., Kent, OH 44240
All proposals must be received no later than 4:00 PM, EST on Monday, February 3, 2020. Late submissions will not be accepted.
OTHER PROGRAM CONDITIONS
The City of Kent reserves the right to select the individual or firm submitting a proposal that is determined to be in the best interest of the City of Kent. This may or may not be the individual or firm with the lowest priced proposal. The City of Kent reserves the right to reject all proposals submitted, to re-issue a Request for Qualifications for these services, and to cancel the procurement process at any time.
The selected individual or firm will be liable for and must indemnify and hold the City of Kent harmless for all claims, suits, judgments, or damages arising from Master Plans Examiner or Building Official Services acts or omissions relating to or arising out of the provision of contracted services. The selected individual or firm will be an independent contractor and is not be considered an employee of the City of Kent or the Community Development Department.