CITY OF FAIRLAWN
This is technical work in zoning code enforcement and building inspection work. An employee in this position assists in the enforcement of the building/zoning/property maintenance code through the inspection of buildings or building plans.
Graduation from an accredited high school or general equivalency diploma and completion of a college curriculum in construction, engineering or architecture, or a minimum of three (3) years experience in the construction of commercial/residential buildings or equivalent experience as a building inspector. Must possess or be able to obtain State of Ohio certification as a Residential Building Inspector within one (1) year of employment and maintain certification throughout the term of employment. Must possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record, proof of liability insurance when operating a City vehicle, and insurable under the City’s liability policy.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The duties listed below are intended to depict tasks performed by this classification.
- Reviews residential construction drawings for compliance with the building and zoning code.
- Examines commercial plans to determine conformance with zoning codes.
- Prepares and issues all required permits of this division.
- Inspects construction in progress.
- Inspects for zoning violations.
- Issues Orders to Comply for building, property maintenance, and zoning violations.
- Answers questions related to requirements from contractors, builders, developers and residents, and maintains contact with them throughout construction.
- Prepares files and correspondence.
- Performs additional duties and assignments as requested.
- Attends Board of Building and Zoning Appeals, Planning Commission and Real Property Maintenance Board meetings.
Mail cover letter and resume to: Ms. L. George, City of Fairlawn, 3487 S. Smith Road, Fairlawn OH 44333 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org