Position: Building Inspector (Electrical)
Department: City of Westlake Building Department
Salary Range: $20.00 – $44.30 per hour
Position Type: Full-Time
Date: City of WestlakeApplications
will be accepted until the position is filled
Under the general direction of the Director of Inspections, the individual in the position conducts inspections of commercial and residential construction and provides information and advice to contractors and owners to ensure compliance with city, state and federal building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and related codes.
- Compare field work to the approved construction documents.
- Ability to review plans and research the body of codes
- Ability to understand the permitting process from beginning to end.
- Perform daily list of assigned inspections.
- Record and/or log all inspection requests and results.
- Prepare and maintain required records and reports.
- Maintain field reports, photographs and other documentation pertaining to inspections.
- Perform biennial rental inspections and annual apartment inspections.
- Perform occasional property maintenance inspections.
- Ability to utilize computer to perform data entry functions.
- Close permits in computer program after final inspections have passed.
- Inspections require field reports, photographs, job meetings and close out in the building department computer program.
- Confer with and advise contractor, owners, architects, engineers and general public regarding interpretation and application of building code and other applicable laws, ordinances and regulations on site, by phone and in the department.
- Follow City of Westlake policies, regulations and safety standards.
- Perform any and all other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Inspections and/or the Mayor or his designee.
- Must possess State of Ohio certification in the following classification: Electrical Safety Inspector. A copy of the state certification must accompany the application and resume.
- High school diploma or a G.E.D. equivalent.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to assigned work schedule.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, elected officials and the general public.
- Ability to make sound independent judgments.
- Ability to work extra hours when needed for the safety and welfare of the community.
- Pre-employment drug test and background check required.
- Valid Ohio driver license.
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Computer, including word-processing and data base software; motor vehicle; phone; mobile or portable radio, copy and fax machine, IPad/Tablet
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk, sit, talk, hear, use hands, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms and bend over. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move 20 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work shall primarily be performed in the field. The noise level for the work environment is sometimes loud. Work in the field may be indoor or outdoor. Thus, the employee shall occasionally work in outside weather conditions. When working outside the employee shall occasionally be exposed to wet, dry, hot, cold and humid weather conditions as well as fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and vibrations.
The work environment described herein is representative of those an employee will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview, reference check and any related test to demonstrate the ability to perform essential duties may be required. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer, as needed.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
To be considered for the position, applicants should email or mail completed City of Westlake employment application, resume, and cover letter detailing background and experience to:
Mail: City of Westlake
Human Resource Department
27700 Hilliard Boulevard
Westlake, OH 44145
The City of Westlake is an Equal Opportunity Employer