JOB TITLE: BUILDING INSPECTOR, MULTI -CERTIFIED
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: BUILDING COMMISSIONER
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: NONE
STATUS: FULL-TIME, NON-EXEMPT, BARGAINING UNIT, CLASSIFIED
• Conducts technical field inspections of buildings, equipment, and installations during
various phases of building construction, installation, and or operation in accordance with
the Ohio Building Code and the Codified Ordinances of the City of Twinsburg.
• Inspects building construction for compliance with approved plans and adopted codes
as well as complaints, property maintenance, point of sale or other inspections as
• Detects and investigates reported and unreported hazards and possible safety
problems or inadequate conditions and violations.
• Reviews building construction plans, and specifications, to verify compliance plans
approved by the Building Official.
• Assists applicants in completing necessary forms; enters applications into permitting
• Trains with and develops efficiency with Building Department permitting systems and
functions related to job duties. Must complete training and employee development in a
timely and satisfactory manner.
• Prepares and maintains reports, records, and correspondence concerning building and
enforcement and inspection activities.
• Maintains daily schedule, reporting of duties, and daily activities as assigned by the
• Must possess organizational skills and be able to prioritize completing job duties.
• Clearly communicates with residents and other City employees.
• Maintains State of Ohio Certifications.
• Under general direction, exercises independent judgment regarding the application of
codes, policies and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned by the Building Commissioner.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the
knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure
that individuals with disabilities are able to perform the essential functions.
• Education and Prior Experience: High School diploma or (GED), and three to five (3-5)
years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and
• Certifications: Must possess and maintain a Certification or Interim Certification for:
Building Inspector, Electrical Safety Inspector, or Plumbing Inspector Certification from the
State of Ohio. Multiple Certifications a plus. If have Interim Certification, must complete full
certification process within six months of hire.
• Must learn proprietary permitting software, obtain training badges within 90 days of hire.
• Knowledge of and skill in building inspection.
• Ability to read, comprehend and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and
maintenance instruction, general business periodicals, professional journals and technical
procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suites, IOS, and
Google Chrome or other internet browsers. Ability to communicate effectively.
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as discounts, interest, commissions,
proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of
basic algebra and geometry.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations
where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions
furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to recognize potentially unsafe
conditions and behaviors and correct them in a positive and appropriate manner.
• Must possess and maintain a valid State of Ohio driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
• Must be eligible to work in the United States.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or
humid conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in
outside weather conditions, The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is
occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme heat,
risk of electrical shock, risk of radiation, and vibration.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk,
reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb,
stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste and smell. The employee will frequently lift and/or
move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
How to Apply:
Please submit your internal job application to the Human Resources Department in person or via
email to: email@example.com
Human Resources Department
Twinsburg Government Center