Building Inspector (Full-Time)
Mayor Pamela Bobst
Reports To: Building Commissioner Salary: D.O.Q.
Shift: 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Monday through Friday FLSA Status: Exempt
TENATIVE START DATE – June 13, 2022
Under general direction of the Building Commissioner, the Building Inspector inspects construction and building projects and rental properties in the City and performs various miscellaneous duties to assist the department as needed. The Building Inspector utilizes standard office equipment including, but not limited to, the City’s telephone system, computers, and various inspection equipment including measurement devices, electrical meters, testers, air volume measurement meters, light meters, noise meters and cameras, and the Inspector operates a City vehicle. The work is performed both in a typical office setting where the employee is not generally exposed to adverse conditions and in the field during inspections where the employee is potentially exposed to inclement weather and various conditions of excavation and building construction.
residential, commercial and industrial building construction and
demolition projects to verify compliance with approved plans and in
accordance with Ohio and International building codes and to monitor and
- Contractors working on projects are registered and licensed by City
- Construction is completed according to approved plans and in compliance with relevant laws and codes; permits are acquired and posted
- Measures, photographs and documents observations
reviews, interprets and applies Ohio Building Code, Ohio Residential Code, City
building codes and Ohio plumbing or electric codes depending on certification.
- Directs or advises contractors to change procedures, materials, or other construction practices to comply with laws, codes and regulations
- Enters data to record inspections, notes and compliance decisions on computerized tracking system.
- Performs routine rental property, exterior property maintenance and zoning inspections as required.
- Meet with property owners to discuss and resolve issues and to determine the validity of a complaint or code violation. Review and discuss remedies with the property owner in order to achieve compliance.
- Issue warnings and citations as needed. Represent the city in court as needed.
2. Miscellaneous 5%
- Assists department
staff in performing various duties including but not limited to:*
- Performs routine clerical duties including data entry, copying, filing and faxing
- Performs receptionist duties; answers telephone, records and forwards messages, and assists visitors to front desk, providing information as needed
- Performs miscellaneous duties as needed or assigned
* Denotes essential function of the job
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent
- An ESI or plumbing Inspectors certification along with Residential Building Official certification from the State of Ohio required but would consider interim certificate holders with final certification obtained during interim time limits.
- A valid Ohio driver’s license, and at least five (5)years of previous experience involving residential and/or commercial construction, or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the skills and abilities necessary to perform the job and obtain certifications.
Position will be posted until filled. Applications may be obtained at http://s804876413.onlinehome.us/hr_docs/employment_application.pdf or at Rocky River City Hall. Submit completed application, cover letter and resume, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at:
Michael T. Greco, Director
Human Resources Department
City of Rocky River
21012 Hilliard Boulevard
Rocky River, OH 44116
The City of Rocky River is an Equal Opportunity Employer