POSITION TITLE: Zoning Inspector CLASSIFICATION NO.:
DEPARTMENT: Building FLSA STATUS: NON-Exempt
SALARY: $24.07/hour REPORTS TO: Building Commissioner
The Zoning Inspector will perform both building and zoning inspections on residential and commercial buildings. This position will be up to 24 hours per week and may include weekends.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Zoning Inspector shall:
- Perform inspections at various sites of new and existing construction, for alteration and repairs to ensure compliance with Municipal codes and ordinances;
- Investigate all complaints related to violations of the Zoning Codes, and housing and property ordinances including cases of substandard housing;
- Inform property owners of violations and endeavor to have such violations corrected by such property owners;
- Refer cases of violations, if not timely and reasonably corrected, to proper authorities for appropriate court action;
- Make periodic surveys of the community to determine areas of deterioration or loss of aesthetic values;
- Maintain accurate and adequate records and reports of all zoning and housing inspections performed;
- Enforce all applicable Municipal codes, ordinances and regulations pertaining to proper and adequate zoning and housing standards;
- Appear as a witness in all cases involving violations of Municipal codes and/or ordinances when requested to do so by the Building Commissioner; and
- Prepare and perform all related work and enforcement proceedings when requested to do so by the Building Commissioner.
- Ensure code and ordinance compliance of general building codes; identify violations
- Process Certificates of Occupancy
- Maintain and submit inspection records; issue violation letters and citations
- Review plans and prepare permit documentation for residential and commercial projects
- Provide information and assistance to the general public related to building codes
- Adhere to safety and attendance policies
- Enters inspection results electronically in the field from a mobile device
- Assist department staff in performing duties including, but not limited to: clerical duties, filing, assisting visitors at the front desk, phone messages,
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate and problem solve effectively; interact in a courteous manner with staff and the general public
- Must be able to read and interpret construction documents and site drawings
- Knowledge of building code inspections, plan examinations and experience in constructions and or renovation of commercial and or residential units
- Must be able to prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence utilizing information technology with Microsoft Office, mobile applications and proprietary software
- Work independently, meet deadlines and follow up when necessary
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality
- Ideal candidate will feel comfortable with technology and capable of entering inspection results on a mobile device
QUALIFICATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must be able to climb and kneel. Must have a valid Ohio Driver’s License and acceptable driving record.
- OBBS Certifications are encouraged
- Will be required to complete public records training
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics are those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee has the ability to work safely; Standing, walking, use hands and fingers, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and walk on uneven or slippery surfaces. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Repetitive use of computer keyboard. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet in the office and moderate to loud in the field.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
TO APPLY: Applications are available at www.northroyalton.org and City Hall, 14600 State Road, North Royalton, OH 44133 between 8:00am and 4:30pm. Completed applications can be dropped off at City Hall or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.