Under the general supervision of the Building Commissioner, the Building Inspector performs technical duties to enforce residential and commercial building codes within the City of Highland Heights, according to the Ohio Board of Building Standards.
- Inspects construction work requiring a building permit.
- Inspects new buildings, and additions or alterations to existing buildings, for compliance with the current edition of the International Building Code, Mechanical Code, Plumbing Code, Residential/Commercial Code and the National Electrical Code.
- Inspects building projects to ensure the construction proceeds in accordance with the plans approved by the Building Department.
- Works with the public in a clear and courteous manner in person, and over the phone, to answer basic building code questions.
- Verifies and documents that all required special inspections are performed and that the work is reviewed for completeness.
- Schedules and performs all required inspections and documents the results within the reporting system.
- Takes appropriate action to ensure compliance with building standard codes and verifies that violations have been corrected.
- Reviews basic construction plans for code compliance.
- Attends training, as needed, to remain current on applicable codes and code changes as they occur.
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Building Commissioner.
- Enforces the zoning ordinances of the City of Highland Heights.
Education and Experience
Minimum of two (2) years of inspection experience or experience in the construction trades, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Ohio Driver’s License.
- Ohio Building Standard certification as a Commercial and Residential Inspector.
- Ohio Building Standard certification in the following categories: Commercial and Residential Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing.
Individuals may submit resumes to the City of Highland Heights, Attn: Building Commissioner, 5827 Highland Road, Highland Heights, OH 44143 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.