DATE: January 31, 2023
POSITION: Plumbing/Combination Inspector
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
- Reviews plans and specifications related to residential, commercial, and industrial plumbing systems, and plans and specifications related to one (1), two (2) and three (3) family residential structures and accessory buildings in order to ensure compliance with applicable codes and regulations, advise contractors and building owners of violations and ensures corrective actions.
- Performs inspections of all residential, commercial and industrial plumbing systems within the City of Elyria.
- Make inspections for one (1), two (2) and three (3) family residential structures and accessory buildings including, but not limited to, inspections of footers, framing members, interior and exterior finishes, windows, doors, roofs, and all other portions of residential buildings.
- Performs field inspections of plumbing installations and/or modification projects in order to ensure compliance with applicable codes and regulations; advises contractors and building owners of violations and ensures corrective action.
- Performs field inspections and enforces City housing and zoning codes and regulations, advised property owner or occupant of violations and ensures corrective action.
- Investigates complaints involving zoning, housing and other matters under authority of the Building Department (i.e.: fences, signs, billboards, swimming pools etc,).
- Works closely with the contractors and building owners to ensure compliance with newly constructed, remodeled and existing structures with State codes and various City ordinances.
- Prepares and maintains inspections related records, reports, and other documentation.
- Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions.
- Maintains required licensure(s) and certification(s).
- Assists with completions of routine office tasks such as filing and retrieving of job-related documents.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Perform rental dwelling inspection as directed.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Current Ohio Department of Commerce Certificate of competency as a Plumbing Inspector. Residential/Commercial certificate.
- Possession of and continually maintain a valid Ohio Driver’s License.
- Preference will be given to the candidate who holds a certificate of competency from the State of Ohio for a Plans Examiner and/or Building Inspector.
- Must be able to perform heavy manual labor, which includes lifting, reaching, stretching, and bending.
- Must demonstrate regular and predictable attendance.
- Must have and continually maintain a working telephone (proof will be required and records must be kept up to date).
- Must be trustworthy and able to communicate satisfactorily with other employees, City officials, contractors, and the general public.
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Must be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to examine and interpret plan and specifications of proposed and existing plumbing installations.
- Ability to examine plans and specifications of new, remodeled and existing structures.
- Considerable knowledge of plumbing materials, practices and methods.
- Considerable knowledge of the Ohio Plumbing Code and related codes and ordinances.
- Ability to detect defects and faults in plumbing systems and proposed installations.
- Ability to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with building owners, contractors and the general public.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several variables within familiar context, understands, interprets and applies laws, rules, or regulations to specific situations.
- Ability to speak effectively and to prepare comprehensive and technical reports, and prepare accurate documentation.
- Considerable knowledge of backflow devices and their application as required by the Ohio Department of Health and enforced through the Ohio Plumbing Code.
The following are examples only and are not intended to be all-inclusive.
Automobile, ladder, tape measure, plumbing equipment, basic tools, standard office equipment (i.e.: copy machine, fax machine, telephone, personal computer), and other miscellaneous tools associated with the plumbing inspection field.
INHERENTLY HAZARDOUS OR PHYSICALLY DEMANDING WORK CONDITIONS:
The employee conducts inspections in and around construction job sites and equipment; climbs ladders and walks on scaffolding. Exposed to construction, power and mechanical tools and equipment. Employee is exposed to dust, dirt, fumes, and noise; is occasionally exposed to adverse weather conditions.
RATE OF PAY:
Step C $30.9644 NOTE: Successful bidder will enter the classification at the “Step C” level
Step B $33.2623
Step A $35.3033
SCHEDULE OF HOURS:
Regular work schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
**May involve some overtime per the CBA** Must be available for overtime work per union contract.
This position demands off-schedule hours, call-in hours, stand-by work, and other non-routinely scheduled duties. Incumbents must understand that their flexibility is second to the City’s work demands during times of weather or service emergencies.
The above-described position is now open for bid to all City of Elyria full-time employees. All interested employees must submit their application for said position to the Safety Service Director on forms as provided in the Local 277 Union Agreement under Appendix “D”. ” Must submit a copy of required licenses specific to job; copies of any required licenses (drivers, water, etc.) must be attached with form “D”. These forms must be submitted prior to 4:00 p.m. on Monday, February, 6, 2023.
Safety Service Director