The City of Barberton is now accepting resumes for the position of Building Commissioner. This unclassified position reports directly to the Director of Public Service and serves at the pleasure of the Mayor. The Building Commissioner manages the operations and personnel of the City’s Building Department to ensure compliance with state and local code; reviews construction plans in order to ensure compliance with applicable codes; performs field inspections in order to ensure compliance with building, property and zoning codes.
Public accessibility and the ability to develop and grow personal relationships with the public, including community and business leaders and civic organizations is a must. Personal strengths should include organizational development, personnel management, and budgeting. A sample of illustrative duties include:
- Manage the operations and personnel of City’s Building Department (schedule and assign work, administer discipline, evaluate job performance, develop departmental policy, etc.);
- Reviews plans, blueprints, specifications and other residential and commercial construction project documentation to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances;
- Attend pre-construction meetings to obtain and disseminate related information;
- Approves and issues permits; issues contractor licenses and collects appropriate fees;
- Performs field inspections of construction projects to ensure compliance with state and local building, plumbing, heating and electrical codes; prepares and serves violation notices and ensures corrective action;
- Respond to inquiries regarding code questions and violations;
- Prepares and submits annual budget requests for department and monitors expenditures;
- Develops and implements inspection criteria and procedures;
- Attends City Council, Board of Building and Zoning Appeals and Planning Commission meetings as required;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have ten (10) years experience in a certified Building Department as Chief Building Inspector or Building Official and possess a Class I State Building Official Certification and Class III State Building Inspector Certification. The City of Barberton does not require residency as a condition of employment.
The selected candidate, upon appointment, will need to possess and maintain a valid State of Ohio Motor Vehicle Operator’s License, and remain insurable under the City’s vehicle insurance policy.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter, no later than Friday, July 29, 2016, to City of Barberton, Attn: Rainy Boucher, HR Coordinator, 576 West Park Ave., Barberton, OH 44203 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org