DEPARTMENT: Planning, Zoning and Building
REPORTS TO: Director of Planning, Zoning and Building
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The position reviews submittals for commercial and industrial development projects. May be required to conduct inspections for industrial, commercial and residential structures within the City of Aurora for compliance with the Ohio Building Code.
DISTINGUSHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The Chief Building Official works under direct supervision of the Director of Planning, Zoning and Building. The position works closely with the administrative/clerical staff in the planning, zoning and building department. Requires the ability to communicate and work well with staff and the public.
Examples of Duties:
- Responsible for certificates of occupancy for the construction of all commercial and industrial projects.
- Performs site inspections of commercial buildings during various stages of construction to ensure compliance with building and zoning codes, regulations, ordinances, and approved plans.
- Issues warnings of violation.
- Makes recommendations to the Director or designee for issuance of warnings of violation, adjudication orders and stop work orders.
- Meets with trade, construction, and other organizations to discuss building and construction methods, materials, and equipment.
- Work with other City departments on the solution of mutual problems.
- Testify in court cases.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Extensive knowledge of all types of building construction, materials, practices, and methods. Extensive knowledge of municipal building codes, zoning ordinances, and related laws and ordinances.
Ability to read and accurately and interpret plans, specifications, and blueprints of considerable complexity and to compare them with construction progress. Requires knowledge of zoning principles and interpretation of zoning codes. Ability to establish effective working relationships with building owners, architects, contractors, the general public, and city administrative and elective officials.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: A minimum of ten years of experience in building design and construction or building inspection with a certified building department.
LICENSES OR CERTIFCATIONS: Class I Building Official
SALARY RANGE: $55/hr