DEPARTMENT: Planning, Zoning and Building
REPORTS TO: Director of Planning, Zoning and Building
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Building Inspector position reviews submittals for residential, commercial and industrial development projects. It conducts inspections for commercial and residential structures within the City of Aurora for compliance with the Ohio Building Code and the Residential Code of Ohio. It undertakes enforcement of the zoning code and other development regulations by evaluating potential violations and preparing follow-up citations. Other duties may be performed as required.
DISTINGUSHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The Planning, Zoning and Building Inspector works under the supervision of the Director of Planning, Zoning and Building and the Chief Building Official. Works closely with the administrative/clerical staff in the planning, zoning and building department. Requires the ability to communicate and work well with staff and the public.
Examples of Duties:
- Performs site inspections of commercial and residential buildings during various stages of construction to ensure compliance with building and zoning codes, regulations, ordinances, and approved plans.
- Makes recommendations to the Director or designee for issuance of warnings of violation, adjudication orders and stop work orders.
- Meets with trade, construction, and other organizations to discuss building and construction methods, materials, and equipment.
- Work with other City departments on the solution of mutual problems.
- Enforces permit requirements.
- Testify in court cases.
- And other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Extensive knowledge of all types of building construction, materials, practices, and methods. Extensive knowledge of municipal building codes, zoning ordinances, and related laws and ordinances.
Ability to read and accurately and interpret plans, specifications, and blueprints of considerable complexity and to compare them with construction progress. Requires knowledge of zoning principles and interpretation of zoning codes. Ability to establish effective working relationships with building owners, architects, contractors, the general public, and city administrative and elective officials.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: A minimum of five years of experience in building design and construction or building inspection with a certified building department. Possession of a valid Ohio driver’s license and a safe driving record. A bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS: Class III Certification as issued by the Ohio Board of Building Standards – Certified/HVAC Inspector and Building Inspector required. BBS certified Mechanical Inspector, Residential Building Inspector, Residential Plan Examiner preferred but not required.