NATURE OF WORK
Building/Electrical inspection involving the inspection of construction, alterations, and repair of buildings and structures to ensure conformance with the Ohio Building Codes and Codified Ordinances requirements applicable to building construction. Work is performed with some latitude for independent judgment and action in compliance with City and State rules and regulations regarding building construction. Work is performed under supervision of the Building Commissioner. Work involves inspections of residential property upon transfer of ownership.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Inspects buildings at various stages of construction, alteration, or repair for compliance with building code requirements and for application of safe construction practices.
- Confers with contractors and owners to ensure conformity with regulations and plans; advises public on matters relating to building regulations.
- Inspects residential buildings at point-of sale for compliance with City codes and regulations.
- Maintains records and reports regarding work inspected.
- Provides effective and efficient customer services and promotes and maintains responsive community relations.
- Performs commercial zoning inspections for compliance with the City’s zoning laws and regulations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
REQUIREMENTS OF WORK
Graduation from high school (or GED); considerable experience in the building trades; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, abilities, and skills; possess the required Building/Electrical licenses.
Considerable knowledge of approved materials, methods and techniques used in construction work.
Considerable knowledge of possible defects and flaws in building construction and of effective corrective measures.
Knowledge of code enforcement methods and techniques related to the examination of workmanship, materials and design.
Knowledge of the regulations and laws relating to building construction.
Read and interpret plans, specifications, and engineering drawings.
Inspect buildings and structures for structural stability in accordance with accepted engineering practices and to ascertain compliance with applicable codes.
Enforce codes and regulations tactfully, using good judgment and discretion.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, contractors, architects and the public.
Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Licenses issued by the State of Ohio Board of Building Standards for electrical safety inspection and Class III license for building inspection.
Valid Ohio Driver’s License.
Calvin E. Beverly Jr.
City of Bedford, OH 44146