DEPARTMENT: Planning, Zoning and Building
REPORTS TO: Director of Planning, Zoning and Building
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The position reviews submittals for residential, commercial and industrial development projects. Conducts inspections for industrial, commercial and residential structures within the City of Aurora for compliance with the Ohio Building Code and the Residential Code of Ohio. Supervision is exercised over inspectors, permit issuance, and plan review staff. May undertake enforcement of the zoning code and other development regulations by evaluating potential violations and preparing follow-up citations.
DISTINGUSHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The Chief Building Official / Building Inspector works under direct supervision of the Director of Planning, Zoning and Building. The position works closely with the administrative/clerical staff in the planning, zoning and building department. Requires the ability to communicate and work well with staff and the public.
Examples of Duties:
- Responsible for certificates of occupancy for the construction of all residential, commercial and industrial projects.
- Performs site inspections of commercial and residential buildings during various stages of construction to ensure compliance with building and zoning codes, regulations, ordinances, and approved plans.
- Performs all residential plan review.
- Issues warnings of violation for zoning violations and performs zoning inspections.
- Makes recommendations to the Director or designee for issuance of warnings of violation, adjudication orders and stop work orders.
- Meets with trade, construction, and other organizations to discuss building and construction methods, materials, and equipment.
- Work with other City departments on the solution of mutual problems.
- Testify in court cases.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Extensive knowledge of all types of building construction, materials, practices, and methods. Extensive knowledge of municipal building codes, zoning ordinances, and related laws and ordinances.
Ability to read and accurately and interpret plans, specifications, and blueprints of considerable complexity and to compare them with construction progress. Requires knowledge of zoning principles and interpretation of zoning codes. Ability to establish effective working relationships with building owners, architects, contractors, the general public, and city administrative and elective officials.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: A minimum of ten years of experience in building design and construction or building inspection with a certified building department.
LICENSES OR CERTIFCATIONS: Class I Building Official – BO Certification as issued by the Ohio Board of Building Standards – Certified Plumbing Inspector, Electrical Inspector and/or HVAC Inspector preferred but not required.
SALARY RANGE: $50,605 – $97,520