CITY OF SHAKER HEIGHTS
Position Vacancy Announcement
FOR IMMEDIATE POSTING
December 18, 2015
Job Title: Building Inspector
Type of Appointment: Full-time position with benefits, funded for two (2) years
Starting Salary: To mid $50’s, DOQ
Application Deadline: Open until position filled
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs intermediate technical work in the inspection of all phases of building plans and construction; does related work as required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Building Commissioner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Conducting various building and commercial property maintenance code inspections; enforcing building and commercial property maintenance codes and ordinances; preparing and maintaining inspection files and records.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Answers telephone; provides information and schedules inspections.
- Issues building permits; registers contractors; prepares and maintains computer files.
- Performs field inspections and reinspections of residential, electrical, mechanical and plumbing for compliance with building code; conducts inspections on commercial, industrial and public building for compliance with commercial property maintenance codes.
- Reviews plans and specifications for new construction, remodeling and repair.
- Receives complaints in regard to defective construction and handles enforcement problems.
- Inspects existing buildings for substandard or hazardous conditions or improper uses.
- Where construction is not being made in compliance with regulations as to methods and/or materials, issues warnings, stop‑work orders and/or citations if necessary.
- Answers questions from private citizens, contractors and builders.
- Testifies in court on code violation cases.
- Makes reports and keeps records regarding inspections.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of all types of building construction materials and methods, and of stages of construction when possible violations and defects may be most easily observed and corrected; thorough knowledge of residential building and commercial property maintenance codes, laws and ordinances; ability to detect poor workmanship, inferior materials and hazards of fire and collapse; ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and blueprints accurately and to compare them with construction in process; ability to contact building owners, contractors and the public and effect satisfactory working relationships; firmness and tact in enforcing building ordinances and codes; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and considerable experience in building and housing inspection and/or a construction trade.
This is light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, use of measuring devices, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, and atmospheric conditions.
Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of Ohio. Possession of one or more current Ohio Board of Building Standards certifications including: Class III Building Inspector; Electrical Safety Inspector; Plumbing Inspector; Residential Building Inspector; Residential Building Official and any other additional certifications.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
PLEASE SEND CITY APPLICATION AND/OR RESUME TO THE CITY OF SHAKER HEIGHTS HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, 3400 LEE ROAD, SHAKER HEIGHTS, OH 44120. E-mail: email@example.com Application available online at shakeronline.com EOE