CITY OF LAKEWOOD POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
FULL-TIME BUILDING INSPECTOR 1
HOUSING & BUILDING
START AT $48,564.96 + LICENSING BONUS
The City of Lakewood is currently accepting applications for a full-time Building Inspector 1 position. Building Inspectors conduct inspections of new and existing structures ensuring code and ordinance compliance, identifying code violations, issuing permits and certificates of occupancy utilizing their knowledge of building codes, plans examination and experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units. Normal working hours are between 7:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. Monday through Friday.
Qualified applicants will possess the knowledge, experience and ability to perform the following essential job functions:
- Ability to communicate effectively, interact with the public within the community to provide information and to problem solve and communicate orally with staff and the general public;
- Have knowledge of building code inspection, plans examination and experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units;
- The ability to conduct inspections of new and existing structures, including ensuring code and ordinance compliance, identifying code violations, issuing permits and certificates of occupancy;
- Be able to communicate construction techniques and procedures to property owners and contractors;
- Have the ability to maintain and submit all inspection records, issue violation letters and citations;
- Have the ability and knowledge to verify compliance of construction work with approved construction documents, investigate complaints and respond to requests related to building and property maintenance;
- Must have the ability to inspect fire damage; must have the ability;
- Possess the skill to read and interpret construction documents and maps;
- Be able to prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence utilizing information technology with Microsoft Office, mobile applications and proprietary software;
- Work independently in organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines and follow up on assignments;
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; ascend and descend stairs, scaffolding and ramps; maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, or running on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces; move about on hands and knees; bend body downward and forward, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles; reach with hands and arms; speak and hear; use color, odor, texture, shape and sound perception and discrimination; and push, pull and/or lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 20 pounds occasionally.
Successful candidates must meet the following requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Three (3) to four (4) years of progressively responsible related experience or any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Licensing Requirements: APPLICANT MUST POSSESS AT TIME OF APPLICATION
- Valid Driver’s License with less than 8 points and
- OBBS Building Inspector Certification (BI) (Valid interim at time of hire may be considered)*.
- Residential Building Inspector (RBI)
And one of the following
- Electrical Safety Inspector (ESI)
- Plumbing Inspector (PI)
*Must be obtained within 12 months of appointment.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants may apply on line at www.onelakewood.com or should submit an application form (found on the website) to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
Application will be accepted until the positions are filled.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer.