City of Euclid
Job Title: Chief Building Official (26)
Department: Department of Planning and Development (25)
Status: A. Unclassified B. Exempt – FLSA
Job Summary: Responsible for supervising inspections and ensuring enforcement of all applicable local ordinances and state codes relating to residential and commercial building units in the City. Works under the immediate supervision of the Mayor or his/her designee.
– Develop building department policies and programs.
– Oversee the daily operations of the Building Department.
– Coordinate and communicate with City personnel, officials, residents, agencies and businesses.
– Assign and assist personnel with inspections of new construction, additions, alterations; record for compliance.
– Inspect driveways, fences, roofs, etc. for compliance.
– Testify in all civil and criminal non-compliance cases.
– Oversee cases prepared for prosecution, court or condemnation.
– Train and evaluate personnel.
– Attend Planning & Zoning, Council and ARB meetings as needed.
– Perform other related duties as required.
(The description above represents the most significant duties of this position but does not exclude other occasional work assignments not mentioned, the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the factor degrees assigned.)
Work Environment: Light work (exerting up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally). Indoor/outdoor. Subject to hazards: moving mechanical parts, electric current, water, chemicals; Atmospheric conditions: fumes, odors, dusts, gases. Physical activity: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking and feeling.
Requirements: College degree or equivalent experience in construction or engineering. Ohio Board of Building Standards Certification as Building Official required as well as Building Inspector, Electrical Safety Inspector or Plumbing Inspector. Required residential certificates including Residential Building Official and Residential Plans Examiner. Possession of additional State of Ohio certifications, including Master Plans Examiner certification, or the ability to obtain multiple certificates is preferred. Applicable experience in an administrative or supervisory capacity. Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record. Ability to: express and exchange ideas and instructions accurately and clearly.
The City of Euclid does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. The City is a tobacco-free employer.
Competitive salary range is $65,000 – $105,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits package is available. Send resume with cover letter and salary history to:
City of Euclid, Human Resources Department, 585 East 222nd Street, Euclid, OH 44123
Or e-mail: email@example.com