City of Eastlake Position Vacancy Announcement
Full – Time Building Inspector 1
Housing & Building
Pay rates per hour: $18.91 to $24.04
The City of Eastlake is currently accepting applications for a full-time Building Insp. 1. Building Inspectors conduct inspections of new and existing structures ensuring code and ordinance compliance, identifying code violations, issuing permits and certificates of occupancy utilizing their knowledge of building codes, plans examination and experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units. Normal working hours are between 8am – 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
Qualified applicants will possess the knowledge, experience and ability to perform the following essential job functions:
- Ability to communicate effectively, interact with the public within the community to provide information and to problem solve and communicate orally with staff and the general public.
- Have knowledge of building code inspection, plans examination and experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units.
- The ability to conduct inspections of new and existing structures, including ensuring code and ordinance compliance, identifying code violations, issuing permits and certificates of occupancy.
- Be able to communicate construction techniques and procedures to property owners and contractors.
- Have the ability to maintain and submit all inspection records, issue violation letters and citations.
- Have the ability and knowledge to verify compliance of construction work with approved construction documents, investigate complaints and respond to requests related to building and property maintenance.
- Must have the ability to inspect fire damage and work with the fire marshal.
- Possess the skill to read and interpret construction documents and maps.
- Be able to prepare clear reports and correspondence utilizing information technology with Microsoft office and computer work system.
- Work independently in organizing work, setting priorities, meeting deadlines & follow up on assignments and basic work flow procedures.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, stairs, reach with hands and arms, speak and hear, push, pull or lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 20 pounds occasionally.
Successful candidates must meet the following requirements:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- State Certified (Class III) OBBS Building Inspector Certification
- One of the following ESI (Electrical Safety). PI(Plumbing Inspector) or RPI (Residential Building Inspector), valid interim at time of hire may be considered. Must be obtained within 12 months of appointment.
- Valid Driver’s License
90 days, probation Bargained for position AFSCME
Applications for this position will be accepted at the Building Department 35150 Lakeshore Blvd. or email Chief Building Official Dave Menn at email@example.com.
The City of Eastlake is an equal opportunity employer.