Code Enforcement Officer
The City of Maple Heights is seeking qualified candidates for an open Code Enforcement Officer position. The position, under direction, enforces city property and housing codes and inspects commercial and residential construction projects for compliance with Maple Heights Codes and Ohio Building Codes. The position requires being able to communicate politely and effectively with the public and to develop cooperative working relationships and the ability to work independently, with minimal supervision. Comfortable working with Microsoft Windows devices, and fluent with Microsoft Office products.
Some of the tasks this position performs are below and do not represent all tasks that may be required to be performed:
- Conducting property maintenance inspections; enforcing housing and related codes and ordinances; preparing inspection reports and maintaining inspection files and records.
- Perform field inspections of the exterior of residential and commercial properties for proper maintenance and repair of roofs, chimneys, gutters and downspouts, foundations, windows, siding, steps, sidewalks, driveways and landscaping;
- Prepares notices of code violation for property owners not in compliance and advises owners of support services available to assist them in making repairs;
- Informs supervisory staff of hazardous or blighting conditions that demand prompt attention;
- Answers questions from owners, prospective owners, tenants, real estate agents, private citizens, and contractors regarding the inspection process;
- Prepares reports and maintains records of inspections;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and considerable experience in building construction and/or permit inspections.
- Applicants must possess and maintain a valid International Code Council (ICC) Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector Certification. Residential Building Inspector, electrical, mechanical, and/or plumbing certifications preferred. Refer to state certification qualifications matrix here: http://www.com.ohio.gov/documents/150.pdf
- A current, valid State of Ohio driver’s license and a driving record that is acceptable to the City’s risk managers and insurers.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The City of Maple Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
The full position description and application are available on the City of Maple Heights website:
www.citymapleheights.com and also at the Department of Human Resources located at 5353 Lee Road, Maple Heights, Ohio 44137.
Please return applications to the City of Maple Heights, Department of Human Resources, at address above.