The City of Lakewood is currently accepting applications for a full-time Electrical Safety Inspector. Electrical Safety Inspectors conduct inspections of new construction assuring compliance with approved plans and of existing structures to ensure compliance with local ordinances. They identify non-conformities and code violations; issue permits, certificates of occupancy, certificates of completion and certificates of code compliance utilizing their knowledge of building codes, review of construction plans and their experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units. Normal working hours are between 7:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. Monday through Friday.
- OBBS Electrical Safety Inspector (ESI)
- Additional Ohio Board of Building Standards Certifications are preferred.
* Valid interim at time of hire may be considered. Full certification must be obtained within 12 months of appointment.
Qualified applicants will possess the knowledge, experience and ability to perform the following essential job functions:
- Ability to communicate effectively, interact with the general public to provide information and to problem solve and communicate orally with staff;
- Have knowledge of building codes, and experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units;
- Have the ability and knowledge to verify compliance of construction work with approved construction documents, investigate complaints and respond to requests related to building and property maintenance;
- Be able to effectively communicate non-conformities and code violations to property owners and contractors;
- Have the ability to maintain and submit all inspection records, issue correction notices and manage time effectively;
- Must have the ability to inspect fire damage;
- Possess the skill to read and interpret construction documents and maps;
- Be able to prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence utilizing information technology with Microsoft Office, mobile applications and proprietary software;
- Work independently in organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines and follow up on assignments;
- Possess the ability to lead, direct, assign, delegate job assignments, work with and assign personnel to duties, tasks and equipment in day-to-day operations as necessary including the capability to work effectively and professionally with employees, contractors, vendors and the public.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; ascend and descend stairs, scaffolding and ramps; maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, or running on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces; move about on hands and knees; bend body downward and forward, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles; reach with hands and arms; speak and hear; use color, odor, texture, shape and sound perception and discrimination; and push, pull and/or lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 20 pounds occasionally.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; and,
- Three to four years of progressively responsible related experience
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Valid Driver’s License with less than 8 points.
- Licenses and Certifications as described above.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting Salary = $56,013 plus Licensing bonus.
Benefits include health and prescription coverage, dental, vision, life and supplemental benefits are available.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants may apply on line at www.onelakewood.com or should submit an application form (found on the website) to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
Application will be accepted until the position is filled.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer.