CERTIFIED BUILDING AND ELECTRICAL AND/OR PLUMBING INSPECTOR
POSITION TITLE: Certified Building with Certified Electrical and/or Certified Plumbing Inspector
CLASSIFICATION: AFSCME FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Building REPORTS TO: Building Commissioner
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience and certifications
The City of Garfield Heights is seeking a Certified Building Inspector who is also a Certified Electrical and/or Certified Plumbing Inspector that will perform both electrical and/or plumbing inspections on residential and commercial buildings.
The City is open to hiring multiple candidates in the event a strong candidate is only a certified as either an Electrical Inspector or Plumbing Inspector.
The City is open to hiring either full-time or part-time candidates.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The following list of essential job functions is not exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Perform inspections at various sites of new and existing construction, for alteration and repairs
- Ensure code and ordinance compliance of state of Ohio adopted general building codes and electrical codes and/or plumbing codes; identify violations
- Record inspection information including inspection photos and findings into the Building Department record management system
- Identify all violations upon inspection, maintains records, and schedules follow- up inspections for determination of compliance
- Issues citations and prepares court case files to be sent to Garfield Heights Municipal Court
- Review plans and prepare permit documentation for residential and commercial projects
- Provide information and assistance to the general public related to state of Ohio adopted building codes, National Electrical Codes and/or Ohio Plumbing Code if applicable to applicant’s current certifications
- Investigate complaints and respond to requests related to building and property maintenance
- Adhere to safety and attendance policies
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must possess a High school diploma or GED
- Must possess OBBS Commercial Electrical Safety Inspector Certification and/or Commercial Plumbing Inspector Certification
- Ideally possess OBBS Building Inspector Certification and Residential Building Inspector Certification
- Additional OBBS Certifications are encouraged (may increase starting pay)
- Must be able to read and interpret construction documents and site drawings
- Knowledge of building code inspections, plan examinations and experience in constructions and or renovation of commercial and/or residential structures.
- Must be able to prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence utilizing information technology with Microsoft Office, mobile applications and proprietary software. We currently utilize SmartGov permitting software.
- Work independently, meet deadlines and follow up when necessary
- Ability to communicate and problem solve effectively; interact in a courteous manner with staff and the general public
- Must possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License and insurable driving record
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee should have the ability to work safely in all weather conditions while completing the following: Standing; walking; using hands and fingers; handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; reaching with hands and arms; sitting; climbing; balancing; stooping; kneeling; crouching; crawling; and walking on uneven or slippery surfaces. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Repetitive use of computer keyboard. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. The City of Garfield Heights is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified candidates may mail or email their resume, references, salary requirements, and/or cover letter to the following: Jeffrey M. Jerome, Chief of Staff, 5407 Turney Road, Garfield Heights, Ohio 44125, firstname.lastname@example.org.