This is a front line position for providing excellent customer service to members of the general public and construction contractors. Requirements are a full range of office clerical duties in the Building Department in support of the Building Commissioner. This position should be held by a staff member willing to multi task and train in all phases of building department activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Inform interested citizens of the zoning ordinance provisions.
- Notify the news media regarding land use and zoning matters of public interest, particularly the time and place of public hearings.
- Prepare the Agendas for monthly meetings of the Commission.
- Receive, file and transmit to the Commission or Board all applications, petitions, transcripts and other communications on which they must act.
- Advise the Commission and the Board of pertinent provisions of the ordinance regarding development proposals.
- Maintain permanent and current records of applications, reclassifications, variance, conditional use permits, minutes of BZA & Planning Commission meetings, and of the hearings and actions thereon.
- Provide a liaison between the Commission and The Board, and perform such duties as requested by the Commissioners to assist them in carrying out the provisions of the Ordinance controlling their actions.
- Working with the Public: The Administrator should communicate openly with the citizens of the community and provide general direction and guidance to all applicants, within the confines of the local Comprehensive Planning and Zoning Ordinances.
- Greets public and responds to inquiries or, when necessary, refers to appropriate department official.
- Perform routine clerical, secretarial and administrative support in answering telephones, providing customer assistance, data processing, and record keeping.
- Answers telephones requesting inspections; schedules inspections
- Issues, receives, types and processes various applications, permits and other forms
- Reviews completed forms for signatures and proper entries
- Maintain records pertaining to issuing building or other related permits
- Distribute building permit information, review applications for permitting and licensing relevant to building construction for compliance with prevailing laws, rules, regulations & ordinances.
- Process permit applications and issue permits in accordance with prevailing laws, rules, regulations & ordinances.
- Assess and collect fees required for the issuance of Building permits.
- Prepare reports as requested regarding the issuance of permits.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook, calculator, general office equipment and laminator.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, payments, deposits and creating and maintaining spreadsheets.
- Demonstrate excellent telephone, written and personal customer service skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with the public.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to professionally handle stressful situations, multitask and maintain a flexible work schedule.
Work is typically performed in an appropriately lighted and climate-controlled environment.
Work is primarily sedentary although some physical effort may be required.
This position has no direct reports.